UNBUILT Heathkit H89 Computer Kit & Software - $526.77

Fletcher, Michael michael.fletcher at ATTWS.COM
Wed Feb 6 13:11:23 EST 2002

   Collectors don't use logic. Same with the Heath ham radio unbuilt kits. They're worth five times as much as an assembled version.
   Anyone interested in an unassembled (vs. unbuilt) Kaypro for big bucks?
Michael Fletcher

-----Original Message-----
From: John A. Diefenbach [mailto:jdief at TELLINK.NET]
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 9:03 AM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Re: UNBUILT Heathkit H89 Computer Kit & Software - $526.77

I concur with Mr. Markavage. In the case of the H89 computer, it is 'old'
technology.
Yes, it IS a Heathkit but the pricing is totally 'out of sight'. Paying this
kind of money for something, an unbuilt kit that MUST remain unbuilt, smacks
of lunacy.
Keeping it as an unbuilt kit prevents one from experiencing the ultimate kit
builder's satisfaction: building it, checking it out, plugging it in and
turning it on! This is what Heathkits were meant for! Of course, this item
will be greatly devalued if it is actually constructed; as it was meant to
be.

However, this will never happen. Consider this....our next generations will
someday visit a wireless museum. There they will observe an unopened (or
opened) box in a glass cabinet, with security posted nearby.

In the case of an opened box, the contents will be neatly arranged, possible
in their original boxes, sitting on a shelf in the cabinet with some kind of
placard indicating what it is and what is was meant to do. It will probably
show a page, or copy of a page( I mean, just look at what the Heathkit
CATALOGS 'go for'), from a Heathkit catalog page and showing the original
kit price.

Those viewers will then walk away shaking their heads and wonder how someone
would place an unopened box on a shelf in a protected glass cabinet with a
notation on the placard indicating a recent purchase price of $15,000.00!
That's what makes life interesting....

John Diefenbach, K1TLV
Mason, NH