RX tubes in HW-101

Ed Lambert ma.locksmith at JUNO.COM
Tue Jun 24 09:54:44 EDT 2003

An interesting point...

The schematic for the HW-101 that I have does show the V10 and V11 as
6HS6, BUT in the area where the filament string is shown, V10 and V11 are
listed as 6AU6.

The set uses a specially balanced filament string so that it can run six
volt tubes from 12 volts.  This means the current through each half must
(should) be identical.

Both of these are sharp cutoff pentodes with the same (7BK) basing.  The
6HS6 appears to have a higher transconductance.

The 6HS6 requires 450 milliamperes of filament current but the 6AU6 only
requires 300.  This does make a difference in the filament balancing.

The 6EV5 is a sharp cutoff Tetrode, not a pentode and the basing is
different (7EW).  Besides the filament current only requiring 200
milliamperes, I see there are two connections to the cathode, pins 2 and
7, while the other two have the cathode only on pin 7.  Pin 6 is the
connection to the screen grid.  I can understand if pin 2 were cut, but
not pin 6.

While they are all used as RF amplifiers, I don't know why one would
select one over the other for this application.

Ed
K1ZOK