Solid state VFO - DX100

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 22 11:05:19 EDT 2004

Since I haven't been a member for almost 30 years, and
Jim Haynie is local to me, I doubt that they would
give me permission!

I have heard of one person getting permission without
any problems at all to republish a particular article
yet someone else gets a "hell no" from wanting to
republish a similar article!

Frankly, I never wrote anything except a letter to the
editor to QST for the ARRL.  This was back when they
were not paying anything for an article except sending
you a single color certificate saying that they
published your article.  But, they wanted full
transfer of copyright.  Since 73, Ham Radio Magazine,
and CQ Magazine (among others) were paying good money
for articles and wanted only the first publication
rights and maybe the first reprint rights, it didn't
make sense to give things away to the ARRL!

I got enough money from Wayne Green at 73 for a single
article in 1967 to go out and buy a brand new 1967
Ford station wagon (fully equipped!).  You couldn't do
that with an ARRL certificate!  Considering that I
increased my basic salary at the time by well over 50%
each year for a number of years, I couldn't bring
myself to just give away everything to the ARRL.

Of course the ARRL is now paying for articles.  BUT,
they still want transfer of the copyright.  As such, I
still don't consider writing for them!  Thus, I don't
request permission to republish any of their
copyrighted material!

Glen, K9STH

--- Brian Wood <wood at lpbroadband.net> wrote:

Actually, Glen, you have but to ask and ARRL will most
likely grant you the right to copy an article. They
have allowed others to put copies of my articles
online as soon as the issue in which they appear has
been out about a month.

=====
Glen, K9STH

Web sites