Suggestions on repairing Heathkit 2.305 MHz IF transformers

VE3FWF ve3fwf at SYMPATICO.CA
Sun Oct 16 19:39:07 EDT 2005

I am in the process of restoring several Heathkit HW-x2 series radios.  I
need help to free up the ferrite core in the IF transformers used in these
rigs.

Obviously, the best approach is to buy a replacement transformer or pull
from a parts rig. Anybody out there with a few spare part # 52-63   2.305
MHz transformers to sell?

The top cores in two of the IF cans on one HW-22 are frozen. The bottom ones
turns freely.  I was thinking of perhaps using some tuner spray or perhaps
some light silicon grease.  Forcing the cores to turn will crack them; these
things were never designed to last more than a few tweaks. Another approach
is to take the transformer out to the radio and perhaps put the IF
transformer in the oven at 150 F or so to see if the ferrite core would
unbind from the cardboard guide -- probably not a good idea but maybe worth
a try ...

Any ideas in this area of radio restoration would be appreciated.

Thank you for reading this post.

73, Bernie, VE3FWF, Ottawa, Canada