Heathkit HX 1681

DavidGriffin davidgriffin at CISBEC.NET
Wed Aug 2 15:09:06 EDT 2006

Nice post, Dan.  I just sold a 1680/1681 pair a few months ago.  I really
enjoyed using the rcvr and xmtr, but I just had to get rid of something and
I was using these the  least in my pile of old stuff.  But this brings to
mind something I've been thinking of, and that is using my
old DX 20 (or any old CW transmitter) as a "linear"  for a few small
inexpensive qrp rigs I have laying around.
Re the DX 20,  I guess whether I fed from the QRP rig into the oscillator
circuit or the final circuit would depend upon the amount of power out of
the qrp rig.  Looking up the 6CL6 oscillator of the DX 20 in my tube manual,
it looks like it puts out about 2 or 3 watts, so supposedly I could drive
the  6DQ6 final directly with a 5 watt rig.  And for the cheap-o Ramsey
less-than-a-watt rigs, I suppose I could just plug those into the crystal
socket....like a VFO.
What do you think?  What precautions and measurements should I take before
attempting this?  How did you drive your "fifty year old CW rig?"  And then
there's keying, etc., etc.
Dave
n2chi

----- Original Message -----
From: "wd8pcu" <wd8pcu at COX.NET>
To: <>
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 11:20 AM
Subject: Heathkit HX 1681

Hello eveyone.

I have been a Ham for almost half a century and would like
to say something ceative and good .
I happened to come by an old critisized, chastized and abused sweet little
"Good Looking" indeed Heathkit
HX 1681 at a local Ham Fest for $ 15 dollars.
Now this was a basket case to be sure. The Regulator
Board , The TR Switch Board all were Toast.
BUT ! it looked GOOD despite the burned boards and the top cover missing.
Seems that this little guy had been at the local Hamfests
for the past 3 years with no buyer until I came along.
Well I got REAL with it and decided that I was going to make this my
favorite RIG NO MATTER WHAT.
Well I did just that !  In a few hours I gutted the entire
High Voltage Circuit. Replaced the Finals with Transistors.
So in just a few short hours I now have a real cool 5 Watt
Exciter that looks so COOL setting there driving my 50 year
old CW Transmitter. Now that is a Classic Setup.
PLUS I built a unique low level modulator that connects between the Heathkit
1681 " Exciter and the Antique CW
Transmitter. WALLA this is a beautiful sounding AM Station now for
practically no investment. Just good ole fashioned
Ham Radio Design Work.
So all you guys out there with the old Heathkit HX 1681
" DO NOT DISCARD" that rig for ANY Reason.
That Rig is a TROOPER it can go the distance and in my shack it definetly is
a KEEPER !

" GO HEATHKIT"

Dan de WD8PCU