O.T. Bird 43

dale dmr47 at ROCKETMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 26 21:34:58 EDT 2006

A little off topic here but maybe somebody can help me
out. I picked up a 43 at a Orlando last February and
it doesn't work. I realize this thing isn't rocket
science but it has me stumped. I never had any HF
elements so it wasn't tried until now.
Using either the 250h or the 5C element there is no
reading. the contact for the element seems like its
making contact can feel it drop into the notched area
of the element. When putting the DVM (Fluke 25) on the
micro volt scale I get a reading from the coax
connector. On the ohms scale I get a reading back
through the slug from the center terminal on the screw
on coax connector. The coax checks good and I get a
slight deflection on the Bird meter and when using the
diode test scale the Bird meter will peg. What am I
missing? is there a shunt in the Bird meter movement?
I took the meter out of its housing (remove the three
tiny screws) but didn't loosen the connector studs or
the small nuts at the bottom of the back.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
73 de Dale
KG4KZG

http://mail.yahoo.com