DX-100 Resistor Source

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at VERIZON.NET
Tue Jan 23 21:44:05 EST 2007

On 23 Jan 2007 at 16:46, Mike wrote:

> Thanks Ken.  Have you tried so-called stove pipe wire, it's iron (or
> maybe poor quality steel) wire about 18 ga, probably wouldn't take as
> much.

Excellent suggestion! Yes, I have.  :-)

In fact, good old iron baling wire or stove-pipe wire works better for
shunts than copper wire, because, as you say, it takes a lot less of it to
do the job, and it can be soldered.

However, when I used it in the past, I painted it first, or put spaghetti
tubing over it, so that the turns wouldn't short together. Nowadays, you
can use heat-shrink. Or wind it so that there is space between the
turns.

I was also going to suggest nichrome, but it takes some special solder
and technique to solder it.

I don't think I have ever BOUGHT a shunt in the fifty one years I have
been a ham/technician.

Ken Gordon W7EKB