Zero Beat

Tom Buchanan tlbuch at SCRTC.COM
Wed Nov 14 15:43:45 EST 2007

Thanks for all the responses on my inquiry regarding the SB101 & Zero Beat.
The Heathkit HW-100 seems to be the

rig that is not working.  I also have a Yaesu FT-101E and its calibration

crystal does the same thing as the SB-101 with the one side on each
sideband.  I am glad I

asked first because I could have been working on the two rigs that didn't

need it.

I have been doing some experimenting with my vintage rigs and the
calibration markers.  I can hear one side on USB then go to LSB and hear the
other. I have a 1961 ARRL Handbook and it showed an illustration of a V
discussing zero beat which brings me to a few more questions.

I have heard two things on zero beating, one being find the bottom of the V
to get the rig on the same frequency as the dial. Using the HW-100 I found
that I was off at least 6 KHz with this approach.   I have also heard that
while in CW mode, that to match the CW sidetone to the crystal frequency to
calibrate the dial frequency?

Hearing only one side of the V in the SB-101 or FT-101E, do I need to listen
on LSB then go to USB and find the frequency in between or do I listen to
the one side of SSB or CW only? It would seem that listening to one side
only and depending on which end of the filter I started on, I could
essentially be off frequency 2 to 3 KHz.

73,

Tom

KG4KGY