HW-101 for PSK31?

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at VERIZON.NET
Sat Sep 1 22:04:10 EDT 2007

On 1 Sep 2007 at 15:16, Fred Wittman wrote:

> Has anyone succeeded in using an HW-101 for modern digital modes,
> namely PSK31?

I plan to use mine for just that sort of service.

>  Seems to me it has two things in its favor, namely
> finals that are inexpensive and easy to replace if overstressed by
> digital,

You can very easily cut back the power output to just about any level
simply by adjusting the CW/MIC GAIN control.

> and a cw filter that can be engaged in all modes.  Now
> whether the VFO is stable enough for the job I don't know.

The VFO is stable enough. However, the dual-Jackson Brothers drive
sometimes makes the VFO LOOK unstable because when the drives
get old, they get "bumps" in the grease. I have a DD-103 digital dial
on mine and once I get between the bumps, or on top of one, the VFO
stays within 10 Hz or so once it is well warmed up.

However, the method that Heathkit used to voltage-regulate the FET
VFO's voltage is "iffy" to me, at best. I plan to change mine to be
more stiff, and so that it doesn't rely on the stability of the buffer's
cathode current.

Once I have done that, I can report back here after testing.

The relays DO switch fast enough for digital modes, but you have to
set the VOX delay to zero, adjust the anti-trip to zero, adjust the VOX
sensitivity to zero, and then use a switch in parallel with the mic
switch. My PK-232-MBX  then switches both the HW-101 AND the
SB-200 fast enough for Amtor.

There is a really simple mod which adjusts the value of one resistor
such that it "hot rods" the relays a bit, making for faster and more
certain switching.

After changing that resistor, the first "dit" is no longer cut off when
keying CW at 40 WPM.

Ken Gordon W7EKB