DX-100/SB-xxx/HW-xxx build times

Brian Wood wood at LPBROADBAND.NET
Wed Aug 27 17:20:46 EDT 2008

Thanks to all who responded. One said 20-30 hours and one said "an entire
summer"! But the general consensus from the others was 40 hours. That is,
coincidentally, how long it took Alan Wilcox, our "builder-for-hire", to
build the DZKit Sienna. It seemed like a long time, so I wanted to see how
it compared with the rigs of yore. Glad to hear that the time was that long!
That should put to rest the notion that you can't save money by building
something yourself. At the going labor rates, 40 hours translates to at
least $400, maybe even $1000. Even pre-assembled boards have some labor
content in them, since it is not free to have machinery load and solder the
boards and it is also not free to test them. In the low volume world of ham
radio products, I think the DIY paradigm is still valid.

73,

Brian, W0DZ