SB-10x tuning knob question...

Bob Burns G3OOU at AOL.COM
Fri May 1 11:01:23 EDT 2009

Hi Sandy

I have not tried with the large tuning knobs but I have carefully removed
the skirts from some of the smaller control knobs, originally to use the
skirt  as a front cover for the outer part of a new concentric control. This
was not  particularly successful as the skirt is difficult to grip but it did
prove  a point. Instead, I now turn up new aluminium outer knobs slightly
wider  and deeper than the skirt for concentric applications using the
original moulded knob less skirt for the inner part which is much better.  This
means that I can get more controls onto a standard sized Heath SB-line  front
panel.

You can remove some of the inner plastic that holds the skirt in place
with a large sharp drill so that it can be gently pulled away. Once you have
filled the inner cavities with weighted adhesive you can retain the skirt
back  in place with an adhesive or small threaded or self tapping countersunk
screws  into the weighted adhesive - I would use some form of two pack epoxy
which can  be drilled and tapped once it has set hard.

I am keen to copy the Heath SB-line style on new homebrew designs so  that
they match the old units. Take a look at the photos near the bottom of the
page at _http://www.qsl.net/g3oou/id36.html_
(http://www.qsl.net/g3oou/id36.html)

73

Bob