Apache TX-1

Bob Burns G3OOU at AOL.COM
Tue May 12 09:02:11 EDT 2009

brookbank at TRIAD.RR.COM writes:

I am in  the process of restoring a TX-1, but the knobs have lost their
shine, does  anyone here knows how to bring them to life again??? Thanks in
advance for any  assistance.    Pat

Hi Pat

I have used a UK product called Brasso to polish up plastics,  plated and
bare metal and PCB material. It is no help if the object has  suffered
significant corrosion or pitting though. Another useful and similar UK  product is
called T-Cut for polishing up old car paint work. Not sure if those
products are locally available to you but there must be equivalents.

You can mount each knob on a shaft and put that in a bench drill set to
slow to lessen some of the effort but make sure that the polishing cloth does
not get caught up or you may hurt yourself.

Knobs with anodised aluminium parts will not polish up to a really glossy
finish without removing part or all of the anodising finish as they may be
etched first before anodising to give a matt like finish.

73

Bob

G3OOU
G-QRP  6907