SB310 problems

Bob Burns G3OOU at AOL.COM
Fri Oct 16 17:54:11 EDT 2009

ddswl at CENTURYTEL.NET writes:

I have  an SB310 receiver with two dead bands (3.5--26.9). I checking
voltages  when the probe touches pin 1 (grid) of the RF, ALL bands come to
life  & work FB with an 18 inch clip lead to the grid.
Resoldered all RF tube  and band switch points, checked caps & res &
checked
wiring, all  is correct and so are voltages.  What next?? Any ideas??
Tnx--Doug  W7LNB
ddswl at centurytel.net

Hi Doug

My initial thoughts are that the RF stage is oscillating or there is a
problem with the bandswitch on those two bands and you are disturbing the
wiring  or switch sufficiently to 'fix' the problem. I rebuilt an SB310 and some
of the  wafers were extremely tarnished and intermittent.  Try rocking the
bandswitch back and forwards slightly on those bands and give it a clean
with a  modest amount of an electrical switch cleaner.

You might also check that the band oscillator works reliably on each  band.

73

Bob

Bob F Burns
Amateur  radio callign G3OOU