When will I ever learn? (SB-101)

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at VERIZON.NET
Mon Mar 8 13:29:14 EST 2010

Bob Burns G3OOU brought up an excellent point: is the VR tube lit?

I have had more than one of my HW/SB all-banders in which either one or
both of the larger resistors near the back right hand side, near the audio
output tube, were open, or had become unsoldered from the circuit board
due to their heat. I always replace those two resistors with higher-wattage
units, and mount them so that their heat does not so badly effect the circuit
board.

If the seller says that it worked before he shipped it, then perhaps something
"joggled loose" during shipping, which is NOT at all uncommon.

Check to see if the VR tube is lit. If it is NOT lit, then the receiver will NOT
work.

Ken Gordon W7EKB