[Heath] SB-610 monitor scope technical assist

Dick KF4NS kf4nsradio at verizon.net
Fri Nov 18 18:24:41 EST 2011

Hi Guys,
First I will give you a short history. I bought  it used in Dec. 2002 and immediately replaced the CRT
with the flat screen 3RP1, and the HV caps, diodes and resistors as well as the 600v supply caps. Since
then, replaced several high value resistors out of tolerance. Transformer secondary voltages are right
on.

I have not replaced the can caps yet but will soon because voltages are low.

The trouble is with the vertical amp,  V2 tests fine. It has had very low gain from the beginning.  All
resistors are new in vert. circuit and caps test good now. It is set up for 3395khz and has the correct
caps. There is no loss between the rear vert. IN jack and the wiper terminal of vert. gain pot. After
that I lose 300mv at the control grid with 500mv (rms spec for 3395) at 3395khz unmodulated injected from
my sig gen to the IN jack and read at the control grid with my TEK scope, The 2700ohm grid resistor is
new. Vertical pot is good and set for max. No sense in testing the CRT voltages until all the
electrolytics are replaced.
I tried tweaking the slug for L1 and see no change at the grid. QUESTION: are the input/output tuned
circuits similar to the TPTG circuits for oscillators? There is no mention of test procedures for the
tuned circuits or the values for the coils.

I am sure I have left something out so please excuse me and tell me what is missing. Oh, yes, I don't get
the 5Mohm at lug 2 strip B, actually it is only a bit more than 2Mohm. Followed the troubleshooting guide
to no avail.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and 73, Dick KF4NS
St Petersburg, FL 33714 USA