[Heath] DX-20 Power transformer survival?

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Fri Apr 20 12:45:23 EDT 2012

On 19 Apr 2012 at 19:19, John Klingelhoeffer wrote:

> A fellow ham asked me to take a look at his DX-20 after it had started
> smoking (enough to set off the smoke detector in the room!).  It was
> on, but reportedly not in transmit when this happened.

First, disconnect and isolate every wire except the primary wiring, then turn it
on and see what you get. I would consider measuring the no-load primary
current.

The transformer MAY be OK.

However, if there was smoke, I am not hopeful.

If it DOES appear to be OK, then Glenn's "cooking on the stove" idea would
be the next step.

Then I would find and clear the short.

The power requirements for that rig are minimal. You should have no trouble
finding a replacement, although that may not look exactly the same as the
old one.

50+ years ago, when the power transformer in my DX-35 burnt out for the
second time, I replaced it with a transformer from a console TV set, and then
used the transmitter for many years afterwards.

Ken W7EKB