[Heath] DX-20 Transmitter: Results not good

Wilson Lamb infomet at embarqmail.com
Sun Apr 22 15:56:24 EDT 2012

Sometimes you can keep something going by using a bridge rectifier on half the HV winding, if it originally used the center tap.

Are the LV windings OK?
If so, make a diode bridge with two 1KV PRV diodes in each leg and put it across the good side of the HV winding, if one side is still working.  Hopefully it only melted in one place.  Put 100K equalizing R across each diode, if you want to be careful.

I doubt if anyone is going to run that tx much and certainly not on AM, so you may well get by with the quick fix.

One sees junkers at hamfests, but I wouldn't do the work to change a TX unless I was being paid!

73,
Wilson
W4BOH