[Heath] Yet more on my IP-27...

Jerry Haigwood jerry at w5jh.net
Sat Jun 23 17:26:39 EDT 2012

Ken,
    There has been considerable discussion of old electrolytic caps and how
to determine if they need replacing on another couple of lists I am on.  One
of the best ways to determine a bad electrolytic cap is NOT by measuring the
value of capacitance but rather measuring the ESR.  The ESR should be only
be an ohm or two at most.  Many times an older electrolytic will measure
correct capacitance but have an ESR of 10-20 ohms which is bad.  The higher
ESR will cause heating and in some cases, an explosion as the electrolyte
heats up to the point of causing pressure buildup or physical leakage!  If
you don't have an ESR meter, you might consider building or buying one for
future repairs.  I know some people who measure the ESR on all the
electrolytic caps before they actually start the repair.
Jerry W5JH