[Heath] SB-610 input questions

Robert Groh rgroh at swbell.net
Thu Mar 8 13:25:48 EST 2012

Well, I got a bit goofed up on what I had sent and what had bounced so I  am
repeating my last 2 emails. If redundant, please accept my apologies.

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKY
------------------

Guess what?  On my previous email, I'm wrong.  Or at a minimum, not  entirely
correct.  We do NOT have a capacitive divider. My bad.

I  dug up a copy of the SB-610 manual and threw down some sketches on a  piece
of paper. The SB-610 uses a tuned circuit on the vertical input  (for the  3 to
6 MHz range anyways). That inductor (L1 on the schematic)  is resonated against
the tuning capacitor (330 pF according to the  manual), all the stray capacity
AND the shunt capacity from the coax  cable. In other words, inductor L1 is
tuned to absorb ALL the shunt  capacity from the coax cable (as well as stray
capacity due to  connectors,etc).

With all the capacity 'zero'ed out' by L1, you  only have your series capacitor
from the IF amp plate connection (e.g. 5  pF which is -9,500  ohms) working as a
voltage divider against the Vertical Gain adjustment pot in the SB-610 (100K
ohms).

Basically  the only limit on the choice of coax and the length of the coax is
the  ability of L1 to tune out whatever shunt capacity the coax presents.
Loss, inductive effects, etc of the coax should be pretty much zip at  3395 kHz
(e.g. a wavelength is 80 meters or about 240 ft!).

One  thing that could be happening is that L1 is running out of range (i.e.
max'ing out).  This is fairly easy to see - you should get a 'double  peak' as
you tune the inductor.  If you don't, then you are at maximum  and your should
reduce the shunt capacitor (e.g. from 330 pF to 270 pF).

Now past this point, my previous post is correct.  To get more  signal, you can
increase the value of the series cap (e.g. from 5 pF to  10 pF).  The limit is
how much additional load you can tolerate on the  IF Amp.

Whew!  I hope that is  correct and that it helps.

73
Bob, WA2CKY