[Heath] T-4 Probe or T-4 Probe Fabrication

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Thu Jan 10 12:08:45 EST 2013

On 10 Jan 2013 at 8:47, Ron wrote:

> You can easily and cheaply make two probes -- one straight through
> (for audio tracing) and the other with a series diode in it (for RF).
> You'll have to mount a jack (say, 1/4" phone or BNC) in the hole
> through which the probe cable originally went.
>
> -- Ron

Yes. I have made probes for other instruments from 1/2" diameter PVC
plumbing pipe, two 1/2" PVC pipe-caps, and parts of a probe that comes in a
package of two from Radio Shack for digital meters.

Here is a kit for probe:

http://www.qrpkits.com/rfprobe.html

and here is a site for making your own probe from a Sharpie.

http://golddredgervideo.com/kc0wox/rfprobe.htm

I thought my 1/2 PVC probe looked a bit better than the Sharpie model, but
they both worked the same.

I also built a probe with a switch in it out of one of the larger older Heathkit
probes. The one that was given to me by some very good fellow on this list
was in pretty bad shape as far as the internals, but it had all the necessary
bits. I found a slide switch at Radio Shack that just barely fit inside the body
of the probe, and used my Dremel to cut the necessary slot. With new coax
and plug, it works very well now and looks almost factory-made.

Ken W7EKB