[Heath] Heath SB 300 series receivers

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Sun Dec 14 13:48:06 EST 2014

On 13 Dec 2014 at 14:08, John King via Heath wrote:

> Howdy Greenies!! I have a Heath SB 400 and a SB 401 transmitter, but I do not
> have matching receivers that will transceive with the transmitters. Which Heath
> SB receivers will transceive with those transmitters?  I know there were SB 300,
> SB301 and SB 313 receivers but am not sure if they will all transceive with the
> SB 400 and SB 401 transmitters.

Yes, as I remember it, ALL of the above will transceive with either of the two
transmitters mentioned.

I have a 301/401 combo here, which I really like. The 301 can use some
"enhancements" such as voltage regulation added to the BFO and HFO, but
these are "trivial" mods.

The only thing I had to do to my '401 was to paint the "silver" tube shields
over various tubes, inside and outside with flat black paint. This reduced the
tube-heat by 17%.

Also, don't forget that the systems were designed to use ONLY 68 (?) ohm
coax to connect the various bits, and NOT 50 or 75 ohm coax, AND those
must be of a certain length due to the capacitance needed in the circuit.

I believe Glenn Zook used to sell the necessary cables all made up in a
bundle. Maybe he still does. He is a "denizen" here and may answer himself.

Ken W7EKB