[Heath] Improving the GR-81?

Guy Giacopuzzi gggdds at js-net.com
Sun Jan 5 20:09:04 EST 2014

Well, when checking the tubes, the 50C5 came up "leaky" (whatever that
is..).....I scrounged around in my garage for an hour--found a lone
50C5...tried it in and the the radio woke up dramatically....got WWV at
5, 10 /and/ 15 mc... and a ton of stations above 11...I was just
wondering if there were any other tricks someone's tried to up the
sensitivity/rf/af gain....funny thing though...I remember when I was in
7th grade I was hoping for a GR-64 for xmas, and praying that my parents
would go the few extra dollars (about 20 at the time...) for the GR-64
over the GR-81...they did...and the difference between the radios is
amazing ( I bought the 81' at a flea market about 10 years ago...tried
it...got very little...and put it away)  If fact, the GR-64 seems to out
perform most 6 tube sets on just four tubes....
Guy