[Heath] HW-101 LMO alignment

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Wed Apr 1 16:45:05 EDT 2015

On 1 Apr 2015 at 15:12, Jim's wrote:

>     As a follow up to some suggestions made by the excellent Heath Tech´s,
>     I´ve made the following checks with a HP freq counter.
>     With the dial at 0 the VFO freq is 5.600 Mhz+/-, with the dial at 500 the
>     VFO freq  is 5.100Mhz+/-.

Excellent. That is the information we wanted.

What I now suggest is that you IGNORE THE DIAL-READING, and carefully
(and gently) turn the knob TO ITS COUNTER-CLOCKWISE STOP, then take a
reading with your HP frequency counter.

What do you get then?

If at that point you get 5000 khz, or very close to it (it may or should
read something like 4995 or so), then that is positive proof that the
dial has been "slipped" to read 100 kHz too high, and your solution is
very simple.

If, when you reach the counter-clockwise stop, the HP still reads 5100
kHz, then we have other help for that too.

Do you have a complete original manual or a good copy of it?

> the VFO exhibits a very good linearity across
>     the band,

Yes. The HW-101 VFO is an excellent VFO.

> so I´m a little hesitant to make much of a change to the tuning
>     of the VFO without some good feedback.

Very wise of you. All of us would be hesitant too.

See above.

Ken W7EKB