[Heath] HW-101 VFO questions.

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Sat Apr 14 11:40:52 EDT 2018

On 13 Apr 2018 at 23:37, ChrisIwata via Heath wrote:

> Many years have past, but I seem to recall it had the smell and consistency of Duco cement.
> guess my HW101 was a late one.

OK. I was wondering. There are no details in the parts list.

> There is no reason Epoxy can't be used, or any stiff hobby glue (eg, glue gun).  They are all
> non-conductive.

Yes, but most glues don't adhere well to aluminum due to the oxide on its surface. OK. Well,
I can figure something out.

> You are going through great efforts to restore to original.

Well, in this case, not really. The one I am working on now was bought by a local friend at a
garage sale for about $50 complete with HP-23 and a speaker. It had been built very well,
but had obviously not seen much use, if any. The problem was that after the rig warmed up,
the VFO would quit. I'm sure the original builder never figured it out. The FET in the VFO
was bad, as I may have mentioned here. Your suggestion of a 2N5486 (if I have the number
correct) was what I used, and the VFO works very well now.

I was about to button it back up and reinstall it when I ran across that info in the manual and
thought I should implement that.

>  By the time I sold my HW101 it was
> 50% solid state, that's how many mods it had seen.  Double-balanced mixer, RIT/XIT, improved
> AGC, audio MIC speech processor/clipper, 150Hz CW audio filter, CW Keyer, 3W audio PA,
> etc.  It made WAS and 97 countries for DXCC using only a trap vertical.

Very neat, Chris! :-)

Ken W7EKB

---