[Heath] Bare vs Insulated

Robert Groh rgroh at swbell.net
Tue Mar 6 12:19:09 EST 2018

I think the answer is 'maybe'?  Depends on the application and I would imagine the voltage rating of the insulation.  'Stranded' vs. 'solid' - just a lot simpler to use solid  - most of the uses I have seen or can think of are would be wiring from a bandswitch wafer to variable caps, etc - much simpler with solid wire. Add insulation if you want to keep users safe.
On the other hand, if vibration was involved, you might want to use stranded to 'isolate' one part from another.
So application dependent.  But largely I don't think there was any 'scientific' reason - just practicality.
73Bob Groh, WA2CKY