[Heath] DSB...

ChrisIwata chrisiwata at aol.com
Sun May 20 01:18:50 EDT 2018

I don't mean zero carrier DSB,  I mean suppressed carrier.  In modern
day this amounts to unbalancing the balanced DSB modulator, so that some
carrier is there even in the absence of modulation.

I'm not talking about the implementation,  I'm talking about the signal.

Yup, I agree controlled carrier AM is much easier to implement. Both on
the transmitting end and the receiving end, compared to DSB.

Seems to me the signal generated by controlled carrier AM is the same as
suppressed carrier DSB?   Neither one has zero carrier with no
modulation, and the carrier increases with modulation.  I don't know,
maybe the controlled carrier signal is not a linear representation of
the modulation as is the case with suppressed DSB?  That is, if you
speak twice as loud, the controlled carrier might not go up twice as much?

The one big feature of this signal is it can be detected with a simple
envelope (AM) detector, just like plate modulated AM

When you think about it, aside from CW, modern ham radio communication
has become very complex.  I guess this is why home-brewing is becoming a
lost art.

Chris, KL7DM