[iptv-users] Open source IPTV bits

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Fri Jun 12 13:17:30 EDT 2009

To clarify, my point was that getting access to content is not easy, and
part of the challenge is that some content owners require CA and they need
to approve the CA selection.

The state of CA today is that not every CA vendor works with every
middleware and even then, the middleware vendor may not integrate those
selected CA vendors into every STB model.  In the U.S. market, seeing what
Minerva and Myrio have done in the last few years with their CA partners
(Widevine, Irdeto, Verimatrix, etc), it's clear that middleware vendors are
much more selective about who they work with than before.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Why do you think they 'pull your tap' at the
pole when you don't pay for cable?".  We're talking about IP TV, not RF.

And when you say "Encryption is not required once the content is at your
premises", I presume you mean the customer premises.  Based on what I've
seen from content owners, the video stream needs to remain encrypted in the
head end/CO and in the access network.  Only when it hits the customer's STB
is it to be descrypted.  And if you receive your content and need to
bulk-decrypt it for some reason, depending on the contract that the
transport vendor had with the content owner, and the contract the service
provider has with the content owner, it will need to be encrypted again.

It's my belief that, in time, most content will need to be encrypted.  Only
stuff like the shopping channels and the like will not require it.

Frank