[iptv-users] Open source IPTV bits

Charles Wyble charles at thewybles.com
Fri Jun 12 13:48:41 EDT 2009

Alex Moen wrote:

>  From a functioning IPTV SP, there's no "maybe" about it.  You **must**
> conform to, and have your environment approved by, the content
> providers.  At least, the ones that count, such as Disney/ESPN, Turner,
> and any of the premium content providers.  Content is their lifeline,
> they **WILL** not let it become compromised, and keep a very short leash
> on anything that they think may allow a pure digital copy to get out.
> We even had two guys from Telcordia in our shop for a week hacking on
> the ADB set tob boxes in order to get a piece of paper that made ESPN
> happy.

Sorry. The maybe yes/maybe no, was referring to the level of
effort/funding required.

>> Excellent. Thanks for the tip. I'll look into them.
>
> So, are you talking about "IPTV" over the Internet, or "IPTV" on a
> private, Service Provider-type network, where you have total control
> over the distribution and data path?  (I really wish they had different
> acronyms...)  This will really make a difference...

Indeed. The latter. We are building out a large scale, wholesale layer2
wireless mesh offering. We being
http://www.socalwifi.net/index.php/Main_Page

We have been working on the project for about 3 years. Our gateway
solution is in the final development stages, before we begin roll out.

We plan to offer IPTV/VoIP and several specialized applications centered
around localization/neighborhood empowerment. Our goal isn't to be
another ISP (otherwise we would be dead on arrival). We are building a
large wireless MAE ofering. So having an IPTV offering for local content
creation/delivery, encryption isn't so much of a necessity.