[iptv-users] Open source IPTV bits

Alex Moen alexm at ndtel.com
Fri Jun 12 14:54:17 EDT 2009

And, finally, on June 12, 2009 at 12:00:53 PM CDT Ryan Spott wrote:
> Encryption is not required once the content is at your premises.

I will argue that *in the US* it is required to be encrypted all the
way to the display device, when dealing with a digital signal (ie:
HDMI), so even past the STB encryption may be required.  This is what
the content provider's worst nightmare is: a purely digital signal
intercepted by a recording device, *that they don't get paid for*.
So, not only does the content need to be protected in the head end,
out the distribution network, through the access network, and on the
home network, but also on the digital outputs of the set top box
(HDCP).  This is what Telcordia spent a week determining: whether or
not the stb that we use was completely "safe", in that there wasn't a
way to get the unencrypted digital signal off of the box, even at the
mainboard component level.

This is critical in a purely digital world, at least in the content
owner's eyes.

Alex