[j-nsp] Juniper as a route-server

Richard A Steenbergen ras@e-gerbil.net
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 11:14:11 -0500

I'm not sure if anyone has tried to do this, but I would like to use a
Juniper as a route-server. Unfortunately, I'm hitting a few snags, so
perhaps someone else has more experience trying to do this.

First problem, is there any way to make a telnet connection log directly
into the box without having to enter an account? A suppose a "guest/guest"
system could work (since I can't seem to find a way to have an account
with no password either), but I'd REALLY prefer not.

Second problem, even if you could make a telnet connection go directly
into a guest account, how would you get administrative access to the box
with no "enable"?

And a third problem, I'm trying to restrict unnecessary commands for
security reasons, using the following config:

        class guest {
            idle-timeout 5;
            permissions view;
            allow-commands "(show route.*|show bgp summary|set cli.*|ping|traceroute|quit)";
            deny-commands .*;
        }

Unfortunately, the "quit" part doesn't want to work. I've tried "quit.*"
and a few other variants, but quit never shows up as an available command
like it should (5.5R2.3). Any ideas?

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras