[j-nsp] Policer Statistics (fwd)

Robert O'Hara rohara at juniper.net
Thu Jan 30 04:58:23 EST 2003

Hi CheeYong,

In the following example:

 [edit firewall]
  filter limit-ftp {
  	 policer p1{
  	 	 if-exceeding {
  	 	 	 bandwidth-limit 400k;
  	 	 	 burst-size-limit 20k;
  	 	 }
  	 	 then {
  	 	 	 discard;
  	 	 }

When you do 'show firewall' you will see a
counter "limit-ftp". This counter associated
with this policer and is counting the packets dropped/discarded.

  	 term t-ftp{
  	 	 from {
  	 	 	 source-address 1.2.3/24;
  	 	 	 protocol tcp;
  	 	 	 destination-port ftp;
  	 	 }
  	 	 then {
  	 	 	 policer limit-ftp;
  	 	 	 accept;
  	 	 	 count count-ftp;  <==  packets that passed the
policer

This counter will counter the packets that passed the policer.
In the then clause, the policer is applied first. After
this, if the packet did not get discarded, it will go
on to the next action, which is count.

Thanks,

Bob O'Hara

Systems Engineer/Northeast Region