[j-nsp] Power Supply problems

Edson Cardoso ecardoso at qos.com.br
Fri May 30 14:25:25 EDT 2003

Tnks everybody..
The answer was fast...as always :-)

[]'s
Edson

-----Original Message-----
From: juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
[mailto:juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of
MPuras at solunet.com
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2003 12:20 PM
To: ecardoso at qos.com.br; juniper-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: RE: [j-nsp] Power Supply problems

Hi Edson,

I have had numerous M20 chassis with this issue and in all cases it
required an RMA.  The issue with the fan failures is handled a bit
different depending on the type of power supply that you have (as I have
been explained)

If you have a DC power supply and the M20 backplane has either one of
these revision numbers:

Backplane REV 02 710-002334
Backplane REV 08 710-001517

Then it will require that you change out the backplane of the M20 in
order to correct this issue.  Luckily for me, I have only had AC.  In
any case, if you have DC and you are getting the fan failure errors
notifications and you have the 2 revisions above then you need to
replace the backplane and have what is called ECO-02175 applied to it to
fix it.  There may be more revisions affected so you may want to go
ahead an open a case with JTAC and have them look into it.
If you have AC power supplies and you are getting the fan failures
notifications then you need to RMA the power supply.  Chances are that
you don't have a fan failure (if you look at the fans they are all
spinning) but my guess on this is that the sensors are malfunctionig
although I have not been told what exactly causes the fan failure
notifications.  I just know that RMAing the power supplies fixed the
issue.

Thanks,
Mario Puras
SoluNet Technical Support
Mailto: mpuras at solunet.com
Direct: (321) 309-1410
888.449.5766 (USA) / 888.SOLUNET (Canada)