[j-nsp] ISIS overload bit settings

Danny McPherson danny at tcb.net
Mon Sep 29 13:40:04 EDT 2003

On Monday, September 29, 2003, at 10:23 AM, Daniel Roesen wrote:

> Sorry, I have to clarify: something like "on-startup" exists
> as "set protocols isis overload [timeout <seconds>]". But there is
> nothing which watches for BGP keepalives in order to have a heuristic
> for "BGP converged".

That's probably a good thing, given the amount of churn in
the global routing system it's unlikely any full Internet
BGP speakers receive [post Open Confirm] "keepalives"
anyways (i.e., if the implementations are optimized such
that normal updates are counted as keepalives).

Implementations would be well served by employing the End-of-
RIB Marker for this purpose (even if Graceful Restart's not
being used), assuming peers support it, else falling back to
some reasonable fixed timer (say 120 seconds) or Loc-RIB
size.

-danny