[j-nsp] aggregates - active/passive option

C. Hagel nanog at lordkron.net
Fri Feb 4 10:54:23 EST 2005

All,
	The "passive" option WILL install the aggregate route when there
are no active contributing routes (as will a "generate route").  When
you create a aggregate route without the "passive" switch and there are
no contributing routes, the aggregate route will not be active and will
not be passed on.
	For next-hop options there actually are 3, #1 is nothing behind
the route (i.e. aggregate route x.x.x.x <cr>) this will give you the
next-hop of the contributing routes.  #2 reject (i.e. aggregate route
x.x.x.x reject) this will send an ICMP message for any packet that is
destine to your aggregate address (i.e. root at router> ping 10.200.1.0   where
10.200.1.0/24 is your aggregate route).  #3 discard (i.e. aggregate route
x.x.x.x discard) this will silently discard any route that is destine to the
aggregae route (i.e. root at router> ping 10.200.1.0    where 10.200.1.0/24
is your aggregate route).