[j-nsp] Trunk port assignment

Bala Venkata balavenkata at netscape.net
Tue Mar 29 01:16:30 EST 2005

Nils-

Thanks for the response. See my comments inlined:

nils at tdsdata.net wrote:
> Bala,
>
>> *each* of the vlans and tag it with the vlan id. Is that the only way ?
>> Again, with riverstone I am able to do:
>>
>> "switchport trunk-vlans 601-700,751-850"
>>
>> How to map this to JunOS without having to create 200 units ?
>

>  From your information it seems to me you're trying to transport a set
> of VLANs on this gigabit ethernet interface to the other side of your
> network. On the core-facing interface of this RSTN box, what are you
> using ? i.e. MPLS based transport (L2VPN or VPLS) or VLAN stacking ?

[Bala 03/29] The core is configured for VPLS transport. You are right, I
am transporting a set of VLANs from the Riverstone PE to the 'other'
side of my core. Granted, JNPR and RSTN both don't 'talk' the same VPLS
language (support diff drafts) but I was wondering what would happen if
the 'other' side were a Juniper M. Or, how to transport a set of VLANs
between two Juniper M using VPLS core (specifically BGP-VPLS - one that
JunOS supports as we speak)

> On a juniper box you can transparantly transport an interface's traffic
> to another endpoint based on physical or logical interface. I.e. a total
> port with everything that comes in or a logical interface on this port
> (vlan,vc,vp, etc.. ).
>
> The feature guide of JUNOS describes the various options to transporting
> layer 2 circuits:
>
> http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos71/feature-guide-71/frameset.htm
>

> Chapter "Layer 2 Circuits" (i.e. Circuit Cross Connect or CCC as Michael
> suggested)
>
> Translational Cross Connects and VPLS are described in that guide as well.

[Bala 03/29] Yes, I did refer to this too. But these seem "point to
point". What abt a "point to multipoint" solution where I want to
transport all vlans across an VPLS enabled core ?

> -Nils

[Bala 03/29] Thanks !

/bala