[j-nsp] FE Memory Upgrade

Sabri Berisha sabri at cluecentral.net
Tue May 10 11:25:57 EDT 2005

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 09:05:22AM -0500, info at beprojects.com wrote:
> We just purchased an M7i that we are going to use as a BGP router.  It
> came with 256M on the RE, which we are upgrading to 768M.  It has 128M
> on the CFEB and I was wondering if that needs to be upgraded as well.  I
> know the RE memory is directly related to the number of routes you
> receive, but what about the CFEB memory?  Is there a guideline as to how
> much memory you need for various applications?  Is it related to routing
> table size at all?  Or is it related to bandwidth?  Or?  Thanks.

AFAIK, the CFEB uses those 128M to store its OS, which does not
participate in the packet forwarding. For packet forwarding, there are
an additional 16MB of SSRAM available in which approx 900000 forwarding
entries fit.*

--
Sabri Berisha,
Juniper Certified - JNCIA #747	| Cisco Certified - CCNA

* assumption made based on the descripion of the FEB in my JNCIA books