[j-nsp] Configuring Per-Packet Load Balancing

Hannes Gredler hannes at juniper.net
Tue Oct 11 10:44:38 EDT 2005

Mesut Mutlu wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  First of all thanks for your help.
>  I think If I made this configuration it will be
> generally used by the router. I need to explain that I
> just want to configure load-balance per-packet
> configuration only for a specific peer not for all
> other peers with who I have option to make this kind
> of configuration.

correct - below configuration will enable hash-based load-balancing
for all IGP equal cost routes in the master routing tables;
note that the keyword(s) here is "IGP equal cost" -
if you have e.g. _two_ eBGP peerings to your neighbor AS
then this will not help much (as only one next-hop)
per eBGP session is available in that scenario ...

it will work however if you have _one_ EBGP session between
your loopbacks and a static route to the remote-loopback
holding equal-cost next-hops.

so in other words even if you apply the lbpp policy globaly
to inet.0 it may have no impact unless you supply equal-cost
forwarding next-hops.