[j-nsp] Issues with 7.2R1.7 and Firewall Filters

juniper at arnes.si juniper at arnes.si
Mon Sep 19 02:20:09 EDT 2005

Hi, Laura!

This behavior is normal. We've run into something similar years ago when we
were using IP-in-IP tunnels for IPv6 traffic. Then, I was explaining that
behavior to myself in the following way:

               +<-tun
               | +-^-------+
               v |         |
           filter|         |
     ext<---<out-| Juniper |-in<---<int
                 | router  |
                 +---------+

When a packet passes a router on its way from "int" to "ext" and it is being
forwarded via the tunnel interface (named "tun" on the picture above), it hits
first into inbound and then into outbound filter on interface "ext" (of
course, the packet is encapsulated on this interface -- source IP address is
the source of the tunnel on your side). If you have some anti-spoofing filters
in place inbound on interface "ext", and these filters are set to block
incoming traffic coming from your source address space, you will find the
_outgoing_ traffic via the the tunnel being dropped in the _inbound_ filter on
a physical interface. These behavior is rather weird, but if one looks at it
in such a way as explained, it might sound reasonable ;-)).

Hope this helps,

	Matjaz

Matjaz Straus, ARNES       matjaz.straus at arnes.si
Jamova 39, p.p.7, SI-1001  Ljubljana, Slovenija
tel:+386 1 479-88-00       fax:+386 1 479-88-99
http://www.arnes.si/
PGP public key at: http://www.arnes.si/~matjaz/