[j-nsp] Flapping GE Module causing FEB to reboot

Joerg Staedele / Trusted Network js at tnib.de
Tue Apr 4 02:50:09 EDT 2006

Pekka Savola wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Joerg Staedele / Trusted Network wrote:
>> half an hour ago, our Peering Interface (GigE) went down due to some
>> hardware problems at the IXP.
>>
>> The interface went down, all (190) BGP Sessions were dropped and
>> somehow the FEB rebooted at the same time.
>
> Most old, non-QPP fixed-optic GE cards have firmware which may result in
> this behaviour.  The card firmware can be updated by JTAC only. This is
> PR29528.
>
> You can check whether a fixed-optic GE firmware is affected by running
> 'show pic X firmware' on the FPC and checking that the revision number
> is at least 16 or so..

I have firmware 13 on the GE module :(

The PR29528 is JunOS, not firmware related and we're already running 7.4R2.6

I have two coredumps in /var/crash .. but i dont know how to "read" or
debug them.

Also i notice another strange thing... a "show chassis craft-interface"
shows

|Up: 19+07:48:31     |

but i really dont know where this 19 days are coming from. The RE has a
uptime of 69 days and both, the FPC and FEB rebooted yesterday evening...

Regards,

 Joerg