[j-nsp] OSPF MTU-IGNORE?

Hyunseog Ryu r.hyunseog at ieee.org
Wed Jul 19 17:03:36 EDT 2006

The Problem is that one of Cisco router doesn't allow user settable MTU
from FastEthernet interface.

router(config-if)# mtu ?
   <64-42949672295> MTU size in bytes

router(config-if)# mtu 1520
% Interface FastEthernet1/1 does not support user settable mtu.

router(config-if)# ip mtu
  <68-1000000>  MTU (bytes)

router(config-if)# ip mtu 1520
% Invalid IP MTU specified; minimum 68, maximum 1500

Because of this one Cisco router, I couldn't use MPLS from this whole
subnet.
I would like to replace this router, but I had no choice.

Another option was using "ip ospf mtu-ignore" from Cisco, but it seems
that JUNOS doesn't support it.

So I think I'm in deadlock situation until I replaced those problematic
Cisco router.

Hyun