[j-nsp] memory usage on RE-5.0 (M7i)

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Fri Mar 17 03:00:37 EST 2006

> We're running an M7i (RE-5.0) as border router and I'm wondering what
> typical / advised memory usage is on those. It's running 7.4R2.6.
>
> Our M7i has:
> - 7 BGP sessions (1 iBGP, 6 eBGP of which 5 full tables).
> - OSPF (30 routes or something).
> - light JFlow sampling.
>
> Running the box with 512MB this puts memory usage on the RE at 85%. CFEB
> memory usage is not that extreme:
>
>   Heap utilization                   27 percent
>   Buffer utilization                 25 percent
>   Total CPU DRAM                    128 MB
>
> - Are these accepted usage values or should I punt the RE memory to 768
> right away?

I would definitely go to 768 MByte right away. We used to buy all our
M7i/M10i boxes with 768 Mbyte. Lately we have been getting the RE-850
which comes with 1.5 GByte of memory.

On our M7i/M10i routers with 768 Mbyte we typically have 250 - 350 Mbyte
free memory (as shown by top). 512 MByte would be tight for many of
them.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no