[j-nsp] TEXT->XML, XML examples?

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Mon Nov 6 13:55:35 EST 2006

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006, Per Ole Klemetsrud wrote:
> The junoscript api perl client
> (https://www.juniper.net/support/xml/junoscript/archive.html), includes a
> script called get_config.pl that does what you want, almost.  That is, it logs
> onto the router and saves the config as an XML file.  You can also use
> "|display xml" on most commands from the CLI, including show config if you're
> just playing around.

That was specifically what I didn't want to do -- use scripts to log
on the routers to do stuff like that.

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006, Hannes Gredler wrote:
> this may be a non-trivial exercise, given that there are meanwhile
> app. 4100 JUNOS keywords (as per release 8.1).

I guess that was the reason for not spotting any solutions to this...
:-D

> i don't know what is the problem that you want to solve, but i'd
> rather start with XML native configs than going down the hassle of
> re-engineering the corresponding XML tags sourced from flat files.

Unless some way to reverse engineer these presents itself, I guess
we'll need to start pulling/pushing the xml config variants as well as
text.. I wanted to avoid this (e.g., because the automatic config
upload feature etc. don't support this) but it seems unavoidable.