[j-nsp] Monitoring memory usage via SNMP

Jee Kay jeekay at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 12:27:14 EST 2006

On 21/04/06, Lars Erik Gullerud <lerik at nolink.net> wrote:
> If you just need to look at the memory usage on the RE, you can poll the
> jnxOperatingBuffer (1.3.6.1.4.1.2636.3.1.13.1.11) and, if necessary, the
> jnxOperatingHeap (1.3.6.1.4.1.2636.3.1.13.1.12) tables, both from the
> Juniper Chassis-MIB. We do this from InfoVista to monitor general memory

This has been working fantastically for the last 9 or so months, but
after an upgrade to JunOS 7.6 it appears this variable is now
calculated differently... where before it was Active/Total, it now
appears to be returning (Total-Inactive)/Total, resulting in my
routers now reporting 83% utilisation instead of 17% as they were
before.

Has anyone else seen this / is there now a better OID to monitor? I'm
a little wary of setting my notification limits above 85% for obvious
reasons.

Thanks,
Ras