[j-nsp] Monitoring memory usage via SNMP

Wilkes, Nathan nwilkes at virtela.net
Sat Nov 25 14:55:30 EST 2006

>From what I understand, Juniper modified the calculation to more accurately represent the amount of memory free/in use.

It used to be calculated like so:
	Memory utilization % = (Total - Free - Inactive)/Total

In 7.6, it is calculated like this:
	Memory utilization % = (Total - Free - cached)/Total

The amount of memory in use did not change (except for the obligatory changes due to the new code version) -- only the calculation.

The problem with the earlier calculation was that Inactive Memory is not easily accessible by the kernel.  The kernel assigns memory to various processes, like RPD for example.  The portion of the assigned memory that is not used by the process is marked "Inact" so that the kernel can pull from it if necessary after using all of the Free and Cache memory.  The kernel would still have to run a paging routine to get the memory back (or swap, etc.), which is obviously more intensive than just pulling from free/cache memory.

We just ended up increasing our monitored thresholds for alerting.  As long as the router isn't swapping or using flash (which it does when it gets up near 100%), it runs just fine.

- Nathan