[j-nsp] Using QoS to ensure BGP bandwidth

Thomas Mangin thomas.mangin at exa-networks.co.uk
Sun Apr 22 08:23:26 EDT 2007

Alex wrote:
> Jason,
> Locally originated BGP traffic is classified into Q0 by default (except BGP
> retransmissions)
> http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos82/swconfig82-cos/html/cos-hardware4.html#1197876
> --and AFAIK, it is impossible to override this behaviour. So, in an essence,
> you can guarantee bandwidth to
> BGP traffic _through_ the router but not to locally-originated BGP traffic.

Never tried, just a mad idea.

If using trunking to switches : create two vlan, one for control one
traffic. Use the control vlan for BGP traffic but make the next hop the
IP of the traffic interface ? This way you can limit the bandwidth on
the customer vlan and be sure that some is left on the "control" one. No
idea if you can apply the same idea to your IGP as well.

Thomas
PS: I do not pretend it is a sane idea neither.