[j-nsp] Upgrade without PCMCIA card?

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Dec 20 13:36:49 EST 2007

On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 08:53:04AM -0800, Shawn Morris wrote:
> We've done some upgrades of both RE3s and RE2s in our lab to 1g.  On
> the RE3 it's extremely simple as it's designed to be a FRU.  You just
> open a latch and replace the card.  On the RE2 you have to remove the
> faceplate and about 5 screws on the bottom to remove the daugtherboard
> that the HD sits on and then the CF is on a daughterboard underneath
> that.  We tried using some el-cheapo CF cards from Micro Center and
> those did not work.  We had to use regular Sandisk 1g CF cards.

I'll second the problems with offbrand CF cards, though it might also have
been because I was trying 2GB + high-speed (133x). The known-working
solution for me was 512MB "standard" speed SanDisk, never had a problem
with those.

Of course if you're running any kind of complex configuration or large
number of routes RE-2.0's are going to be dead to you just based on CPU
speed and the 768MB hard memory limitation, but the people out there who
are running relatively simple configurations on M5-M20s should still be
able to keep them alive a couple more years.