[j-nsp] vrf-target vs route-target

Hamid Ahmed hamidahmed77 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 14 10:37:25 EST 2007

Hi Everyone,

  I would like to know:

  1) The difference between a route-target and vrf-target. what i know is that for route target
  we need to enable Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) route target filtering on the Layer 3 VPN.
  2) are these two statements used in place of each other or can be used together?
  3) What are the situations when one statement can be preferred over the other?
  4) Also can anyone clearly specify interaction between inet.0; inet.3 and bgpl3.vpn routing tables. Just to inshort what is the protocol flow and routing-advertisement flow from one end to other[ the situation is that there are ce-pe routers at both ends with MPLS running in  between]

  I find some documentation on Juniper little bit tricky and confusing. Specfically i need to know when a packet traverses from a PE/CE router to the other end to a VRF what and how does BGP, RSVP and IGP play inbetween keeping in mind the workin of inet.0, inet.3 bgpL3.vpn routing tables.

  Best regards,
  HA