[j-nsp] NSRP through 802.1Q trunks

Stefan Fouant sfouant at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 10:03:43 EDT 2008

You'll be fine as long as you are not expecting the Netscreen to tag
the frames.  Otherwise, the HA interfaces (or pseudo-HA interfaces
that you've designated as such) look like regular Ethernet interfaces,
so as long as you've got a normal Ethernet handoff with end-to-end L2
connectivity between both pair of devices it should work.  Heck, I
suppose you could even run NSRP over an L2VPN if you wanted, not sure
why one would want to do so, but it's possible...

HTHs.

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 8:54 PM, Ivan c <ivannetw at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey, anyone have any experience with running active/passive NSRP
> betwen datacentres via 802.1Q trunks? specially through Nortel 5520
> switches?
>
> I can't find any specific info on NSRP protocol requirements, only
> from the screenos cookbook, which states "The only requirement is that
> the Layer 2 frames arrive at the remote peer as sent."
>
> I have verfied the trunking works by plugging in laptops on each end
> with an IP on the same vlan, and connectivity is fine.
> The get nrsp ha says state:disconnected and I have the NSRP HA probes running.
>
> Any special requirements or info on trunking NSRP?
>
> thanks
> Ivan

Stefan Fouant
Principal Network Engineer