[j-nsp] j-series and clusterip / multicast mac addresses

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Tue May 6 17:32:38 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 05:22:07PM -0400, Stefan Fouant wrote:
> Not really sure but I would think that even with or without IGMP/PIM
> enabled on the interface, the router probably doesn't know what to do
> with that packet since it doesn't have corresponding IGMP/PIM join
> state to match the incoming packet.  Therefore any packets sourced
> from a multicast mac address are probably pitched in the bit bucket.
> at least that seems to make sense since you've indicated that static
> arp entries are working...

I don't think that is the issue.  Linux ClusterIP is most likely not
using Ethernet Multicast packets in the same range that is reserved
for IP Multicast (01:00:5e:00:00:00 - 01:00:5e:7f:ff:ff), so IGMP and
PIM would have nothing to do with it at all.

The issue is that ClusterIP is playing fast and loose with the
standards, so standards-based networking devices don't work with it.
This is similar to how Microsoft Network Load Balancing (NLB) works.