[j-nsp] spmb/ssb/feb/... memory usage details?

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Thu May 8 05:17:12 EDT 2008

On Thu, 8 May 2008, Pekka Savola wrote:
> You can use the 'show chassis spmb/feb/ssb/...' to view DRAM memory
> utilization on the switch board.
> How can you find out what's taking DRAM memory?  'show route summary'
> on 'vty ssb' (or similar) shows how much your routing table takes but
> that's all I can find out.

I found some clues, the best reference was this:

(though it'd be nice to be able to see how much uKernel heap takes)

Some others of interest:

In this case, routing table is taking some 19M, route options
(assuming 40B/entry) some 10M, radix trees some 5M, ARP is basically
zero.  Observing on an empty system, the heap usage is 20% at 11M. 8M
is uncached.  So, there's still about 9M unaccounted for.

(It's also not obvious to me why RPF requires an entry for each
routing table entry if you run it in strict mode, smells like a badly
implemented feature..)